It’s two o’clock in the morning. Your bedroom is right above the garage and you’ve just been awakened by the thud of your garage door. You’re wondering how to make your garage door quieter before it drives you crazy.
First of all, you should know that the noise isn’t just coming from the garage door opener: it’s coming from the whole garage door system. Here are a few steps you can take to make your garage door as quiet as possible. However, you should be aware of the fact that, although you can reduce the noise to a great extent, it’s impossible to have a completely silent garage door.
What you can do on your own to make a garage door quieter
- Lubricate the metal components: rollers, hinges, tracks and springs. Only use lubricant intended for use on metal, such as 10W‑30 motor oil. Apply with an oil can and wipe off the excess with a rag. Do not use grease! When the metallic parts of a torsion spring system rub together, this can be a major source of noise.
- Tighten all nuts and bolts: make sure that there are no loose screws.
- Check the condition of the rollers and tracks: are they damaged or worn? Keep in mind that rollers should roll‑not slide‑inside the track. Are the tracks properly aligned?
- Lubricate the garage door opener chain: apply oil sparingly to the chain and the pinions at each end. However, if your opener is belt‑driven, do not apply anything to the rubber belt. Also, make sure that the chain or belt is taut.
- Add noise insulation: you can install noise insulators between the motor block and the slotted metal brace used to attach the motor to the ceiling. These are cylindrical pieces of rubber (see photo) fitted with two independent screws, which buffer vibration between adjoining parts. You can purchase noise insulators from your local garage door specialist.
What a garage door professional can do to make a garage door quieter
- Replace your chain‑driven garage door opener with a belt‑driven one.
- Replace your steel rollers with quieter nylon ones.
- Replace your extension spring system with torsion springs, space permitting. Torsion springs are installed above the top of the door and make a lot less noise.
- Perform a full inspection to verify that your garage door is working properly.
- Perform all five DIY steps mentioned above.
At Door Systems Inc., we are your garage door professional. Contact us at 1-800-545-3667 for a free consultation. We can give you sound advice on how to make your garage door opener quieter.
If you would like to learn more on this topic, we invite you to read this related item: http://www.garaga.com/ca/about-us/stories-around-garage-doors/silent-garage-door/